Top 15 Documentaries About Bitcoin, Blockchain, and Cryptocurrency
In general, cryptocurrency and the blockchain technology for the last decade excite the minds of humanity. This is reflected not only in a permanent increase of community, daily references in mass media but also in a large number of documentaries, which are entirely dedicated to the topic. In this article we will discuss the Top-15 documentary about blockchain and cryptocurrencies. It is worth to mention, that there were shot much more, just this list is worth your attention.
1. "Banking on Bitcoin", 2016In this film, rise and fall of earlier cryptocurrency investors are subject to deep analysis. The filmmakers also focused special attention to the balance between innovations and state regulation. Which is one the most discussed topics since the release of Bitcoin. The film shows two sides of the coin, since different opinions about the digital coins are discussed in it. Also, described in detail those titanic contribute to the industry, which made its first participants. - Also, titanic contribution to the industry, made by its first participants is described there in detail.
2. "Bitcoin: The End Of Money As We Know It", 2015Even today, the word “Bitcoin” is much spoken about, such term as the “blockchain” though is still a mystery for the majority of people. The aim of this film is to popularize the cryptocurrency. The film tells in simple words what the blockchain technology is. Also, it draws a parallel between usual currency and Bitcoin. Special attention in the film is paid exactly to the difference between Bitcoin and fiat or any other means of payment in the entire history of the mankind. This is the first decentralized currency in the world, which have no place for intermediaries and third persons. The central message, which the filmmakers want to convey is that the Bitcoin will break all the current financial rules, which used to be a standard for many years.
3. "The Rise And Rise Of Bitcoin", 2014Many participants of the cryptocurrency market is compared with a riding on a roller coaster. During its short history, Bitcoin had already grown rapidly by thousands of percent in a few months, after what it swiftly rushed down as well. This film is considered as a guide for main events in history of the first cryptocurrency.
4. "Bitcoin Gospel", 2015This film gives the answers for many practical questions, which appear in the young market participants’ heads. For example, how does Bitcoin work? How can you pay with Bitcoin online or offline? A key role in the creation of this film was played by one of the earliest cryptocurrency adherents Roger Ver. He is called the “Bitcoin Jesus”, although in recent years he began to actively support Bitcoin Cash. The majority of scenes in the movie are just a representation of Ver’s performance in the land of the rising sun. And the choice of this particular country is not accidental, since the Japanese authorities conduct the most loyal policy towards cryptocurrency. If you are interested in practical usage of Bitcoin, you will surely enjoy this film.
5. "History Of Bitcoin", 2008This film describes the chronological sequence of creating an innovative software. Since, Satoshi Nakamoto, who has created and launched the Bitcoin network, used researches in cryptography, which have been held over 40 years.
6. "Magic Money: The Bitcoin Revolution", 2017This is one of the most modern film in our list, it provides detailed information not only regarding what bitcoin is, but also refers to the theme of consequences, which should be expected in the nearest future. The filmmakers elaborated the process of forming a global world currency, which is just impossible to manage.
7. "The Bitcoin Experiment", 2016This film is a social experiment, which was held in 2016 in Sweden, Denmark and Norway. The main object of the experiment was to find out, how much people are ready to such phenomena as Bitcoin. The filmmakers vividly showed and told to ordinary citizens of Scandinavian countries what advantages digital coins have. The film is an excellent manual for the beginners.
8. "Life On Bitcoin", 2014The main argument of the majority of cryptocurrency critics is the fact that you cannot buy everyday things for a bitcoin and even for another digital coin . Well, the filmmakers, who are also a couple of newlyweds, decided to live for 100 days by using only cryptocurrency. This is a very fascinating journey, which was recorded on tape.
9. "Bitcoin Heist", 2017This documentary is produced in the genre of thriller, which presents the digital underworld and an Interpol agent, which investigates the largest coin theft. The main criminal is a hacker with a nickname “Ghost”. There are many turning points in the plot, people who are interested in cryptocurrencies will enjoy it.
10. "Bitcoin Rebellion", 2017This film explains about the evolution of money since their creation, and Bitcoin is the 6th step of its development. Great attention in the movie is paid to the decentralized blockchain technology, which is the basis of cryptocurrencies. The film is recommended for newcomers as well as more advanced users.
11. "Bitcoin in Uganda", 2014The duration of the current film is only 5 minutes. But despite of its short duration, this picture shows the conveniences Bitcoin can give even in a developing country very well. The main character is a local resident Ronald, who receives money from his family in BTC. The film describes the importance of popularization of Bitcoin and other cryptocurrencies, especially considering huge commissions, which are set by usual money transfer services, such as Western Union or MoneyGram.
12. "I am Satoshi", 2014This documentary have a duration of 52 minutes. The filmmakers have conducted in-depth research of Bitcoin. The films describes innovations and consequences which Bitcoin will bring . This is a very informative film, which won the award for “The most creative film”.
13. "Bitcoins in Argentina", 2013This short film is a creation of the same people who made the film 'Bitcoin in Uganda'. The picture tell us about the local people, who use the digital money. One of the main focuses is that cryptocurrencies helps Argentine nationals to protect their own savings from inflation rate of the national currency.
14. "Trust Disrupted: Bitcoin and the Blockchain", 2016It’s a whole series, which are on YouTube since the fall of 2016. The author of this films is responsible for economic news in New York Times. As of the end of summer 2018, 6 parts have been already released, each of them tells about different aspects of Bitcoin. This is a structured mini TV show, which gives comprehensive information about digital currencies.
15. "The Bitcoin Phenomenon", 2015This documentary is based on several interviews, which the filmmakers took from leading experts of the market:
- Gavin Andresen (one of developers of Bitcoin);
- Erik Voorhees (tech.director of Coinapult);
- Bennett Hoffman (tech.director of Buttercoin);