Heroes of Newerth ditutup setelah satu dekade beraksi
Heroes of Newerth (HoN) has finally shut down in June 2022, six months after developer Frostburn Studios announced plans of closing down all of its servers. The announcement made in December 2021 detailed the disabling of the purchase of in-game Gold Coins as well as the barring of new accounts to be made just before the year ended.
In that same announcement, Frostburn Studios expressed its gratitude to the team that ran the game as well as the loyal fans who stayed with the game through the 12 years of lane-pushing action. Those who visit the game’s official website will see a message that reads, ‘HON IS NOW OFFICIALLY CLOSED. THANK YOU FOR PLAYING!’
Heroes of Newerth was first released in 2010 as a full-priced PC game but was re-released as a free-to-play game to compete with the equally popular League of Legends back in the day. The game was developed by S2 Games and was derived from the Warcraft custom map Defense of the Ancients (DotA). When S2 Games went defunct in 2018, the development of HoN was passed onto Frostburn Studios. Even if the game has come to an end, there are still a lot of games you can download from Steam or even place your wagers at a crypto gambling site.
The game had also created its esports tournament, the HoN Tour, back in 2012. The following year, significant improvements were made to the game which include a better map and graphics. In November 2020, Frostburn Studios took over providing the latest update to the game which made HoN even more compatible with the latest versions of Windows and macOS.
Frostburn Studios also took care of the bugs and rebalancing of more than a hundred playable heroes before finally deciding that HoN will be closing down all of its servers in 2022.
Esports stars who started in Heroes of Newerth
Back when HoN was closely competing with League of Legends and DotA, it served as the starting ground for some of the world’s best esports players. Here are some of the well-known names that have graced the HoN map:
- Johan ‘N0tail’ Sundstein. Sundstein was with his long-time friend Fly during his HoN stint at Fnatic, winning the DreamHack Winter 2011.
- Tal ‘Fly’ Aizik. Aizik’s history with N0tail began in HoN when both of them became the longest-serving members of Fnatic.
- David ‘MoonMeander’ Tan Boon Yang. Tan Boon Yang was one of the most popular HoN streamers and players back in the day due to his aggressive play style.
- Aydin ‘iNSaNiA’ Sarkohi. Sarkohi is a former HoN player who has been playing under multiple teams before switching to Dota 2.
- Maurice ‘KheZu’ Gutmann. Gutmann was a founding member of DmSn/KD alongside iNSaNiA. He was also the first person to have reached an MMR of 2100 in HoN.
- Peter ‘ppd’ Dager. Dager played for Trademark eSports and compLexity gaming’s HoN teams under the name ‘peterpandam’ which would later be abbreviated to his current username.
- Ludwig ‘zai’ Wahlberg. Wahlberg also played for Trademark eSports and compLexity Gaming in 2012. He also won the DreamHoN that same year.
Reactions to HoN shutting down
Loyal players have paid tribute to various HoN-related forums, expressing sadness over the death of the game. Meanwhile, gamers who have also tried entering the HoN scene say they have already predicted the shutting down of its servers due to its sudden drop in popularity and inability to keep up with League of Legends and Dota 2 in succeeding years.
During its run, Heroes of Newerth has been criticised for having the most toxic fan base, something that mainstream gamers blame for its failure to be a legitimate esports title worthy of being included in any crypto gambling site.
CoinShark is not responsible for the content, accuracy, quality, advertising, products or any other content posted on the website. The article is for informational purposes, reflects only the author's opinion and does not constitute a proposal for action. The financial market is dangerous and full of risks, investments in cryptocurrencies can lead to losses. Users should do their own research before taking any action.