The San Francisco Fire Department confirmed that Dropbox evacuated its SF headquarters on 333 Brannan Street after an electric scooter caught fire on the fifth floor of the building. Firefighters have put out the fire, no one was hurt as a result.
My office was evacuated today because an electric scooter exploded and caught fire. Seriously living in an episode of Silicon Valley over here. pic.twitter.com/cX2iVvejtf
— Davy Rudolph (@davyr) August 14, 2019
It is known that a scooter of a rather cheap Tianrun R3 model from RocketX, which costs only 250 US dollars, caught fire. It is known that in the past, cheap hoverboards sometimes exploded, usually due to problems when charging their large combustible lithium-ion batteries.
Dropbox representatives commented on this as follows:
“We experienced a small fire at 333 Brannan yesterday afternoon. It was quickly put out, no injuries have been reported, and everyone was able to evacuate safely. We’re thankful to the SFFD for their swift response.”